Personality Development –
While coming to a certain age, everyone fears for “Personality Development” (ie PD) and searches for tips to develop the same. It is defined as enhancing and grooming our outer and inner self to bring about a positive change within our self. There is a strong belief that our personality emerges early and continues to change in many ways throughout our lifespan. We can’t control the situations around us, but we can control our choices of responding to a particular stimuli based on our pattern of thoughts, feelings and beliefs, past experiences that influence our actions.
According to me the following traits if developed will help one to attain this positive change. In fact these are the qualities that recruiters look for within individuals during their interview process to fill their vacancies. Let’s understand each one of them with relevant real time examples, short stories or videos. In this process, I am sure each one of you will realize the true value of visiting my website resulting in your overall positive personality development.
Discover your inner Self –
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve. ..Napoleon.
Your mind is your greatest power, use it well. We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.. Buddha
S– Self Esteem
L–Lead from the front
I–Innovation & Creativity
T–Trust in your ability
Y–Your true Worth
- Passionate– If you want to experience a positive change within yourself over a period of time, you should have a burning desire to accomplish it by all means. You are expected to be passionate about your work. If you search for something you want & your focus lies on something you don’t want, then you can’t be successful. In a campus interview while interviewing, most of the girls’ actual reason for applying to my company was “if they don’t get a job”, they would be forced by their parents to marry someone or the other. Here their focus is “to escape from getting married to someone”, they started searching for “employment opportunities” which is not their real passion. Hence I had to reject many post counselling . Focus should be on what you want. Identify the purpose in life to begin with, it will connect you to your passion. Lets look at a small story to understand this concept.
- Emotional Stability– It refers to a person’s ability to remain stable and balanced mentally without which one would be prone to emotional breakdown. People who are insensitive are often perceived to be uncaring. Their co-workers are less likely to want to work with them or offer help. If you’re insensitive, you may not make a good leader, and can be much less likely to be promoted. Lets look at the below story to understand this concept better.
- Reliable– Organisations considers this attribute to be one of the most important quality to evaluate your trustworthiness. No wonder all organisations need “Mr Dependable” resources. Reliability can be enhanced basis how we treat our peers around us and win their hearts by displaying high sense of responsibility towards each one of them in all situations. If ever you have flown a kite, you would have noticed that if you want it to fly farther and higher, you don‘t push it….you pull it…..to make a kite fly higher, you need to pull it towards you…..people are like that too…push them and they actually won’t perform. Push them harder and they will probably fall apart. But pull them towards you, show them that you care and then watch them fly. Believe me it works…. with kites and with people too…..You know, sometimes I feel organisations should celebrate “Makar Sankranti” (festival of kites) as the day of the front liners. A day to honour those people, those unsung heroes who make a difference. Recognise them, thank them and remember they are the ones holding the strings of the people on top. So pull them towards you and just watch them take off. Be their hero, be their champion, help them fly and you will see magic……Lets look at a short story about the power of Reliability.
- Self Esteem(SE)– It is defined as your opinion about yourself. Most of the people do join PD classes to improve this particular attribute. It is further classified into positive & negative. Positive implies high confidence levels. Imagine yourself marooned on an island… all alone – no friends, no family; stripped of everything that you have – your clothes, your designation, your skills, your money, education – everything gone.!! At THAT moment what you think of yourself, is your SE. So, if SE is what I think about myself, where or how does it develop… what all things impact it? In fact it is the way I see myself, and the way I see myself is the way I‘ll treat myself, and the BEST part is, that‘s the way people will treat me…
Example for Self Esteen(SE) –
-How many of you have held a new born baby in your arms??? How do you feel when you hold the baby, especially if the baby were to be YOUR’S? Most of us will feel scared, because that baby is SO precious…and the fact is this baby has no achievements or successes in his/her name. Yet it is precious. Self Esteem is the way you treat yourself irrespective of your status. Lets Now Read this Poem “THE RACE”.
- Optimist– A person who tends to be hopeful and confident about the future or the success of something. It’s a positive energy within one self. Lets look at a short story about the power of optimism and the welcoming change it can bring within the society around us.
- Noble– Organisations need people who can display high moral principles or fine personal qualities which will be accepted and welcomed by one and all.You know at this point in time perhaps we all could learn a lesson or two from Dastur Dhaval.
- Attitude– It is the way we look at things. It helps to characterize a person basis their mental & emotional entity. It is a state of one’s mind. It is that one little thing that makes all the “BIG” difference.While making a hiring decision, we as recruiters give a lot of importance to this attribute while filling our vacancies. Lets look a quotation that best describes right Attitude.One fine day SUN asked the whole world , as to “who” would like to take up it’s responsibility for one day if it goes on a leave, there was PIN drop silence everywhere. There came a soft whisper from a dark room “Let me try that” from a candle. That’s what we define as the right Attitude!!
- Lead from the Front– One of the most important quality recruiters consider while selecting someone whose responsibility is to handle a team. Leadership is hard to define and good leadership even harder. But, if you can get people to follow you to the ends of the earth, you are a great leader. “Indra Nooyi – CEO Pepsi”. Lets look at a short story about the power of leading from the front and what do I mean by “Walk the Talk”.
- Innovation & Creativity– “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” Steve Jobs ” If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you are not doing anything very innovative”.- Woody Allen. Leaders are expected to possess a high level of innovation with sound educational and technical background.Lets now look at a short story…
- Trust your Ability– When it comes to material things/objects- we are so clear of the value, but for our own lives – we keep discounting… There is a saying “ You cannot lead a chariot if you think you look funny on a horse”. If you think “YOU CAN”, YOU CAN, If you think “YOU CAN’T”, YOU CAN’T, In either ways you are right. To achieve your dreams, you need to first get rid of your mindblocks.This reminds me the story of a “Golden Eagle“.
- Your True Worth– It is determined how well you manage your self during tough times & how you project yourself in front of others. Pressure and setbacks do exist everywhere. Focus should be on possibilities & not on limitations.Lets look into this short story about, “How Good is my BNQ(Bad News Quotient)?” which will help you understand this concept better.
Now its time to strengthen your outer Self –
Your body hears everything your mind says. To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong & clear…..Buddha.
Exercise Daily to stay fit. Endurance or aerobic activities increases your breathing and heart rate. Brisk walking, Jogging, Swimming keeps your heart , lungs and circulatory system healthy and improves your overall fitness which in turn offers you a great peace of mind.
Just exercising is not enough, ensure you also focus on having a healthy diet plan to stay fit.
Once you succeed in maintaining a balanced diet, healthy physic, sound mind you are sure to succeed in your life. Always remember successful people have the following 7 desires in common:
- Peace of Mind
- Good Health & Energy
- Happy Relationships
- Financial Stability/Freedom
- Self Awareness
- Worthy Goals & Ideas
- Self Actualisation/Personal Fulfilment.
I wish that all my website visitors stay blessed and succeed in completely fulfilling all the above 7 desires. Good Luck!